SpeakOut 2018-2019 Year
- Thank you for considering SpeakOut! Membership registration for the 2018/2019 season is now closed.
What is competitive Speech and Debate?
SpeakOut students hone their speaking and critical thinking skills at the Novice or Varsity level. During the fall semester, they attend interactive classes and workgroups in preparation for the Spring tournament season. Tournaments allow students test and refine their new-found and developing skills through competition.
SpeakOut is a participatory co-op, all parents play an active role in weekly meetings and administrating club needs. The club year begins in August and ends in May. Currently, weekly meetings alternate between speech and debate training and are held on Wednesday afternoons from 2:00-5:00. We meet at Colonial Baptist Church in Cary. Members of SpeakOut agree to a Statement of Faith and belong to an evangelical, Bible-believing and Bible-teaching church. Senior competitors must be 12-18 years of age on September 1st of the competition year. Families with a senior competitor may enroll siblings in our junior club. Junior competitors must be 9 by the same date. There may be a child care option for those under the age of 9, but that will be decided based on the need once registration has been completed.
SpeakOut Yearly Membership Dues (2018/2019):
- Senior Club Dues Speech (per student): $25 each
- Senior Club Dues Debate (per student): $25 each
- Junior Club Dues (per student): $15 each – Junior club meets on Speech Weeks only, we do not offer Jr. Debate.
- Family Maximum $115 (total of above dues, does not include one time and optional fees below)
- New Family Registration: $25 (in addition the fees above)
- If your student participates in the Apologetics or Extemp club, there may be extra fees associated with those clubs (TBD).
NCFCA Yearly Affiliation Fees
In addition, families are required to affiliate with our national organization, the NCFCA, before September 15th. Affiliation opens on June 1st with a preseason rate of $100. Rates increase on August 1st; these fees are regulated by the NCFCA not SpeakOut.
Tournament events span three days of competition. Families should anticipate costs related to event registration, possible travel, lodging, meals, and tournament attire requirements. Members are required to attend one sanctioned NCFCA event per year.